Sunday, September 30, 2012


I am a Christian and follow one God.  God is an intangible that can't be taken away from me.  Other intangibles include love, trust, respect, and friendship and for me hold greater importance than material items or goods.

In Bradstreet's lovely poetry, her legacy is God is more important than material goods.  Her poem "My Dear and Loving Husband" talks about her unyielding love she has for her husband.  Love is a not material good that anyone can take away from her.  Her love for her husband is hers and only hers to keep.  She says, “I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold” in her poem.  Bradstreet would not take great amounts of money to lose her love for her husband.  In her poem “Upon the Burning of Our House,” Bradstreet laments on how her house is burning, burning down with all her material possessions in it.  Foolishly, she realizes, “did thy wealth on earth abide?...My hope and treasures lie above.”  No longer does she have wealth on the earth, but looks up to God for her wealth of soul and prosperity.

In today’s society, the Amish are seen to have this common belief.  They reject mainstream society ideals of material goods and ways of life.  The Amish live in small communities where they are able to practice their views on life.  While many people own television sets, cars, computers, phones, and many varieties of clothes, the Amish do not.  They believe in using horse and buggy, bikes, or just walking to get to the places they need.  Both sexes will wear clothing that fully covers them including bonnets for girls and hats for boys.  Living contently without material goods, the Amish live happily with intangibles such as friendship, trust, respect, and love.   

6 comments:

  1. I like how you used examples of Amish people to relate to your view of material possessions. However, I think that people can still treasure and value friends, family, and faith without rejecting conformity and technology. I don't think I would need a horse and buggy to realize that my life is full of love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great point that people should value intangible things more than materials! However, I agree with Anita. I think that many people realize the importance of their friends and family, especially in times of need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I really like your opening sentence. It's a strong claim, and I'm glad you connected it to the Amish. The way you tied your piece together makes it more cyclic. I like the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Marissa and like your point that we should be less materialistic and should value intangible things more. And I like how you used the Amish as an example. [:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your viewpoint.I wish sometimes people would let go of their materialistic things and just live their life without worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You couldn't be more right Stephanie. It is such a shame that we have come to focus more on material goods, like when the next phone is coming out, than on strong relationships.Without relationships (Including God),life has no true meaning.

    ReplyDelete