Guilt is knowing and realizing one has done wrong. If having conscience of guilt for a long
period of time, I do believe one’s outer appearance will begin to resemble
their inner flaw.
“The Scarlet Letter” puts forth characters whose outer appearances
dwindle or change during the novel. “A
change had come over his features-how much uglier they were-how his dark
complexion seemed to have grown duskier, and his figure more misshapen-since
the days when she had familiarly known him”(108). Roger Chillingworth’s physical appearance is
decaying throughout the novel, because of his want for revenge. He is sucking the life out of Dimmesdale like
a leech. Turning evil because of Hester
and Dimmesdale’s mistake of adultery, Chillingworth is unrecognizable to Hester
as she knew him in England
upon first marrying. “The health of
Dimmesdale had evidently begun to fail”(116).
Dimmesdale is the other half of Hester’s sin. He is a weak character in that he never comes
forth when Hester is first accused of adultery. Dimmesdale hides behind his shame and
guilt. He is afraid of revealing this
secret to a Puritan community in where he is the preacher. Therefore, “His nerve seemed absolutely
destroyed. His moral force was abased into
more than childish weakness”(155).
I have noticed how some people dress to according how they
feel. Such as if a person feels sad
about their cat just dying, they will most likely wear darker, more comfortable
clothes. Another person who feels awesome
and ready to go for their day might dress in lighter colors to reflect their
amazing mood.
I like how you took an interesting perspective on the physical changes that have been occurring in The Scarlet Letter. Although I myself do not dress differently because of how I'm feeling, I know that many do so that is a nice and relatable way to relate the reading to life.
ReplyDeleteI agree that guilt will eventually begin to show on a person's face if it is harbored long enough. However, I also think that Dimmesdale's deterioration in appearance was caused by his constant suspicion of Chillingsworth, not just his guilt from Hester's scandal.
ReplyDeleteI like how you said that people will dress differently based on their mood and how they're feeling, because I know I do ! If I'm in a good, funky mood, I wear a skirt or dress; if I'm in a bored, comfy mood, I wear yoga pants or sweatpants. So yeah, I agree :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that the outside appearance of a person reflects how they feel inside. When we feel great, such as at a wedding, we dress festively. But, when we go to a funeral and are more somber, we wear dark clothing to reflect the atmosphere.
ReplyDelete