Sunday, December 9, 2012

No Matter The Color


 


No matter the skin color, disability, or wealth everyone deserves equality.  Everyone is equal in my eyes, because where your strengths are may be my weaknesses and vice versa.  



Zora Neale Hurston attracts me greatly.  Her life and ideas are so familiar to me in the way I view life.  I love and admire her confidence and self-respect in who she has been raised to be.  She never budges from her views. Being raised in a sheltered, independent community in Eatonville, Flordia where everyone is black, she never witnessed the contempt and exclusion her black brothers and sisters received in other parts of the United States. In fact when she gets out of Eatonville, she rejects her black brother and sisters ways. "I do not belong to the sobbing school of Negrohood..." she declares.  Hurston barely recognizes the difference between black and white skin.  She says how at times she has no race but is only herself.  This is true confidence.  She is beautiful in the fact of how she is such a forward thinker of her time, especially for blacks. Her hope and joy is attractive.


In the end, Zora even alludes to God with the Great Stuffer of Bags.  She states beautifully how everyone is a white, black, red, or yellow bag filled with objects.  The objects are personality traits everyone holds.  Her point is God filled each bag with their own personality and purpose.  Does it really matter what color the bag is to Him?  Or does the color matter so much that people can't accept the traits in them?

4 comments:

  1. Nice post! I also felt that the "great stuffer of bags" was utilized to show how different people are not so different on the inside, despite contrasting exteriors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rhetorical question,"Does it really matter what color our bag is to Him?" really goes to the heart of the issue for inequality. We are but human spirits gifted with the privilege of life. We must respect each other to respect Him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I like how you closed with a rhetorical question, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Sarah and Jake, the rhetorical questions really enhance your argument. I like your post ! :)

    ReplyDelete