Sarah Vowell utilizes compare and contrast to explicate upon how she and her dad are different, but ends up finding out upon further examination that they are the same person. It is through their differences that Sarah reveals they are in reality the same. Even though the house is divided and represents the Civil War, Sarah and her father are found to be similar. While the Democratic sign is in the top window and the Republican campaign sign is in the bottom window, the directions in which the signs are presented allude to the Civil War. The liberals lived in the North while the conservatives lived in the southern states.
When Vowell discerns her house is divided up into territories, she is calling upon satire and humor. The reader laughs along with her as she paints the picture of her house divided up in military style. Who knew the relationship between daughter and father could be so ironically funny?
I enjoyed reading "Shooting Dad" because it's essence in which it highlights upon how people that are different may in reality be the same. I can relate this in my own life very well. I'm a daddy's girl, so it is actually my mother that I feel I am the most dissimilar to. My dad often regales upon how my mom and I don't get along all the time, because of the fact that we are extremely similar, even though both my mom and myself still refuse to accept that we are the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment