One of the timed writing responses this week asked writers
to analyze the rhetorical strategies Hazlitt emphasizes during “On the Want of
Money.” While I had fun quickly churning
out a response to this timed writing, upon receiving the essay back, I
discovered I had misread several of the strategies Hazlitt implements to convey
his ideas.
Such as how I ended up discovering of the two sentences the
essay is composed of, the longer sentence symbolizes a stream of oppression. Through the first read, I had the belief
money was being personified by all the actions separated by commas during the
second sentence. Another misread
included how I believed the author was trying to convey to readers the literal want
of money can lead to a person’s downfall.
Instead, William wishes to reveal to readers that the lack of money can
lead to misfortune! With a second and
third read, I discovered Hazlitt is a true proponent of the necessity of money. He truly believes, “…one cannot get on well
in the world without money,” and therefore goes on in the essay to describe
what a life without money would be like/look like.
I agree with Hazlitt.
Without money, people will have troubles in life. Money is what makes the world go round. It is a sign of status and good fortune
throughout the world. While reading the
piece more carefully, I found more minute details that assisted me in appreciating
the piece increasingly more than I did through the first read.
No comments:
Post a Comment