The Declaration of Independence is a piece of parchment wrote
on by the Founding Fathers to grant certain freedoms and rights to Americans. But still in today’s society, those rights written
in the Declaration do not apply for all people.
There is not diversity in gender or race in the committee that
is formed to write the Declaration of Independence. The editors: John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Robert
R. Livingston, Roger Sherman, and the writer of the document Thomas Jefferson
are all white American men. The Congress
of the 13 colonies put these men in a committee together on June 11, 1776. Thomas Jefferson writes, “We hold these truths
to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by
their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit
of Happiness.” In his quote, he uses the
words “all men.” In writing “all men,”
he does mean men, women, Native Americans, blacks, and men of all social
classes doesn’t he? Well, he obviously
does not. In this time period, white
American men that held large plots of land are only granted these rights. Not until later on do men of all social
classes, women, Native Americans, and blacks receive the unalienable rights
promised to them in the Declaration of Independence.
Today, Latin Americans are still fighting for these
unalienable rights provided in the Declaration of Independence. In the past several decades, there have been
many millions of Latin Americans illegally migrating to the United States . They migrate for the promise of a better life
than what they currently have. Many of
these Latin Americans have been in the United
States for several decades and some even have citizenship
to the United States .
Many have worked American jobs, had
children, and stimulated the economy of the United States , and yet they are
still denied the rights provided by our Founding Fathers. They are commonly denied higher paid job opportunities
and deeds to houses in suburban communities.
Latin Americans deserve the rights promised in the Declaration of
Independence of Life, Liberty ,
and the Pursuit of Happiness. They are American too.


I like how you found a present day example, however if the Latin Americans were actually citizens of the United States, then they would be guaranteed those rights so I didn't understand where you were going with that. Also, I think using the past tense to refer to the writing of the Declaration of Independence would have sounded better and flowed more easily.
ReplyDeleteI liked that you expanded on your idea of rights for all, which is much more fair than older laws. However, I wouldn't go so far to say all men, women, races, ethnicities and social classes are equal. Let's not forget that people typically find men more respectable than women. Also, Native Americans are still stuck on reservations, black people are warily regarded due to social stereotypes, and those with less income are constantly derided for their backgrounds. While I agree America has come a long way in securing equality for "all men", a perfect society has yet to be acheived.
ReplyDeleteStephanie, I like your powerful visuals, and you bring to light an important voice in America that often goes unheard!
ReplyDeleteI like how you used the example of Latin Americans because most people have heard a problem they have faced, yet not many act to make "all men" equal.
ReplyDeleteStephanie, I really like your point of how the Declaration of Independence did not include "all men," as it states! I think that's a really important issue that needs to be addressed in today's society, way to go! :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with Ms. Valentino & Marissa, I like your stance on the issue and totally agree !
ReplyDeleteI like your point of view and I 100% agree with you #minorityswag
ReplyDelete