Sunday, October 14, 2012

No One Will Believe Me


I personally get very frustrated and angry when no one will believe me.  I will ignore, yell, and scream until somehow, someone will believe that what I say is true.

The historical event McCarthyism has judges who believe the people presented before them are Communists.  McCarthyism is a time period in which there are many trials in the United States to determine whether Communists are in fact infiltrating the United States. It is believed that there are many Communists in the United States conspiring against the government even though they are United States citizens. Many actors, writers, and play writes of this time are accused of being Communist. Arthur Miller, the play write of The Crucible, is accused of being a Communist. Even though earlier in his life he did attend Communist meetings, he claims he isn't a Communist to the courts. The judges want him to give them some names of other Communists in the group he is in, but he will not.  He is accused of withholding information from the court which is later withdrawn from Congress.

Arthur Miller soon afterwards writes the play The Crucible.  In the Puritan town of Salem, Massachusetts, there is believed to be witches.  Abigail and many other girls accuse half of the people in the town of worshiping the Devil.  The judges will not listen to the pleas of the towns’ people saying they have never worshiped the Devil.  Still, the judges keep on believing the town is full of witches even when they are presented with evidence to prove Abigail and the girls did not confer with the Devil.  John Proctor is killed protecting his integrity over admitting and signing his name to the lie of being a witch.

 


Today, it can be found hard to convince parents to believe in what is said.  Even though a son or daughter can tell their parent they did a chore or homework on time, parents often choose to be skeptical of their children.  Often times, this can be very frustrating for the children.  They can ask the question: why won’t my parents believe me?  Probably, the answer is too often there is evidence that the children haven’t completed their work.  The children have lost their parents trust, therefore the parents don’t believe in what the children say. 


 

          

3 comments:

  1. I like how you tied personal experiences in with the concept of McCarthyism and Salem witch-trials. I also relate to how you brought parent-child relationships into account!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the summary was lengthy. However, I really liked your connection to a parent/child relationship and the rhetorical question is something most readers can connect with. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The parent/child relationship is totally true! Although, I believe that parents are forced to be skeptical because of the many times that children will tell lies to their parents. It seems that once trust is broken once, it can no longer be replaced. Good (but a little lengthy) post! :)

    ReplyDelete